- Lie on your side with your arm in front and bend your knees.
- Touch your fingers to your temples.
- Use your side abs to crunch up sideways.
- Hold for a second at the top of the move, then lower slowly back to the start.
Variation: Gym ball oblique crunch
Get a greater range of movement by wrapping your body around the ball.
- Lie sideways and curl your body round the ball.
- Jam your feet against a wall for support.
Variation: Dumbbell side bend
Vary the resistance you place on your obliques by using a dumbbell.
- Holding a dumbbell in one hand and lean to that side.
- The lean as far as you can to the other side without leaning forward or back.
Get the Coach Newsletter
Sign up for workout ideas, training advice, reviews of the latest gear and more.
Nick Hutchings worked for Men’s Fitness UK, which predated, and then shared a website with, Coach. Nick worked as digital editor from 2008 to 2011, head of content until 2014, and finally editor-in-chief until 2015.