Medicine ball lunge chop
Sets: 3 Reps: 8 each side
Holding the down position of a lunge activates your legs and core to stabilise your weight while your obliques rotate dynamically.
- Keep a slight bend in your arms and use your torso rather than your arms to power the move.
- Rotate your shoulders, torso and hip together.
Gym ball plank
Sets: 3 Time: 20-60 seconds
By resting on the gym ball’s unstable surface in a challenging static position, you demand more from your core and put your abs under greater tension.
- Brace your abs throughout and don’t allow your hips to sag.
- Take long, controlled breaths to extend your rep time.
Gym ball crunch to press
Sets: 3 Reps: 10
Using the gym ball allows you to hit your abs across their whole range of motion.
- Curl your torso off the ball and then press the weights straight out.
- Keep your abs tight as you lower to stay in control of your momentum.
Get the Coach Newsletter
Sign up for workout ideas, training advice, reviews of the latest gear and more.
Nick Hutchings worked for Men’s Fitness UK, which predated, and then shared a website with, Coach. Nick worked as digital editor from 2008 to 2011, head of content until 2014, and finally editor-in-chief until 2015.