Medicine ball curl up
Sets: 3 Reps: 10
The medicine ball adds resistance to fatigue your muscles. Holding it above your head increases the lever length, which also makes the exercise harder.
- Curl up slowly without throwing your shoulders forwards.
- Lower your torso under control and maintain tension in your abs.
Gym ball dumb-bell Russian twist
Sets: 3 Reps: 8 each side
The dumb-bell works your side abs as your core fights to stabilise your body on the insecure platform of the gym ball
- Don't let your core collapse or your lower back round as you rotate.
- Avoid bouncing up from the ball as you lower.
Sets: 3 Reps: 12
Doing this bodyweight exercise quickly will exhaust the abs fully and safely without you having to use added resistance at the end of the workout.
- Crunch up without pulling on your head or neck.
- Don't over-extend your lower back on the way down.
Get the Coach Newsletter
Sign up for workout ideas, training advice, reviews of the latest gear and more.
Nick Hutchings worked for Men’s Fitness UK, which predated, and then shared a website with, Coach. Nick worked as digital editor from 2008 to 2011, head of content until 2014, and finally editor-in-chief until 2015.