If you’ve been avoiding sandwiches because of a vague perception that they’re not a healthy option, it’s time to re-assess because there’s a world of difference between processed cheese on white sliced and the carefully created, nutritionally spot-on sarnies here. None of them takes long to prepare – they’re not three-course meals, after all- so ditch the wilting salads and unsatisfying soups and enjoy your lunch again, starting now.
Honey And Mustard BLT
- 2 slices smoked bacon
- 110g roasted chicken breast, shredded
- 1tbsp fat-free Greek yogurt
- 2tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2tsp honey
- 35g diced red onion
- ½tsp garlic powder
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1 large wholemeal pitta
- Large handful of mixed baby greens
- ½ a tomato, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6. Place the bacon on a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes until crisp. (To reduce cooking time, cook it in the microwave on a plate with paper towels under it and on top, six to eight minutes.)
- Meanwhile, in a medium mixing bowl, add the shredded chicken, yogurt, mustard, honey, red onion and seasonings. Toss until well combined.
- Briefly heat the pitta in the microwave or under the grill to soften. Cut it in half and stuff with the honey-mustard chicken, greens and tomato slices, and add one bacon strip to each half.
Nutrition: 615 calories, 46g protein, 56g carbs, 23g fat
Loaded Steak Sandwich
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1tbsp grass-fed butter
- 110g grass-fed lean steak
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 4 spears of asparagus
- 2tbsp goat’s cheese
- 3tbsp Greek yogurt
- ½tsp dried rosemary
- ½tsp dried thyme
- 2 slices sprouted grain bread
- Place a pan on medium-high heat and add the olive oil and butter. Season the steak with salt and pepper, then add to the pan. Sear on each side and cook until it’s done as you like it. Transfer to a plate and let it cool for ten to 15 minutes, then slice diagonally against the grain.
- While the steak cooks, boil a small pot of water. Add the asparagus and blanch for three to four minutes.
- In a small mixing bowl, add the cheese, yogurt, rosemary and thyme. Mix until a smooth paste forms. Smear the mixture liberally on each piece of bread.
- Add the steak slices on one half of bread, then top with the blanched asparagus and combine the halves to form a sandwich. Lightly drizzle olive oil on the outside of each piece of bread. Press in a sandwich toaster or cook in a cast-iron skillet and apply pressure with a spatula to make it panini-like.
Nutrition: 512 calories, 41g protein, 40g carbs, 21g fat
- Skirt-Steak Sandwich Recipe
- Try This Pork Loin Sandwich for National Sandwich Day
- 3 Mouth-Watering High-Protein Meal Recipes
Smoked Salmon, Avocado And Egg Stack
- 2tsp malt vinegar
- 1tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 wholemeal muffin
- 1 ripe avocado
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 85g smoked salmon
- Pinch of black pepper
- Diced spring onions, for garnish
- Fill a large saucepan with 5cm of water, then add the vinegar and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium-low heat. Crack each egg into its own small bowl and then slowly tip one egg at a time into the simmering water. Cook until the whites are firm and the yolk is still a little runny, about three to four minutes. Remove each egg with a slotted spoon and rest on a plate.
- While the eggs cook, halve and toast the muffin. Spread the avocado on each toasted half – it should be ripe enough to spread easily – and sprinkle lemon juice on top.
- Add half the smoked salmon to each muffin half and top each with a poached egg. Add salt, pepper and diced spring onions.
Nutrition: 583 calories, 45g protein, 38g carbs, 28g fat
Tuna And Avocado Breadless Sandwich
- 110g canned tuna (preferably albacore tuna), packed in olive oil
- ½ an avocado
- Juice from ½ a lemon
- Garlic powder, to taste
- Salt (Himalayan if possible), to taste
- White pepper, to taste
- 2tbsp unsweetened dried cranberries
- 2tbsp toasted almond slivers
- 4 round (butterhead) lettuce leaves
- Drain and rinse the tuna thoroughly. Place it in a medium mixing bowl and add the avocado, lemon juice and seasonings. Mix and mash with a fork.
- Add the dried cranberries and toasted almonds to the bowl and gently fold in.
- Divide a scoop of tuna mixture into each lettuce leaf, roll it up, and add a small toothpick to hold in place for easier serving.
Nutrition: 367 calories, 37g protein, 13g carbs, 19g fat
A version of this article first appeared in the US edition of Men’s Fitness
Get the Coach Newsletter
Sign up for workout ideas, training advice, reviews of the latest gear and more.