Lying reverse lateral raise
Work your rear shoulders and upper back muscles with this simple move that will help balance your physique and improve your posture.
- Lie with your stomach and chest on the bench, your gaze down and your feet on floor for stability
- Grip the dumbbells on the floor below your shoulders, keeping your palms facing each other
- Lift the weights straight out to the sides
- Squeeze your shoulder blades together for a second at the top of the move, then lower slowly to the start
Variation: Diagonal cable raise
The pressure starts on your front delts and transfers to your rear delts as you raise the cable.
- Stand side-on to a low cable
- Keep your core braced throughout
- Lift the handle up and across your body
Variation: High cable wide pull
Using a high, wide bar keeps the emphasis on your rear shoulders rather than your back.
- Use a wide bar with the cable set at shoulder level
- Keep your core braced
- Pull the bar into your chest, keeping your elbows high
Get the Coach Newsletter
Sign up for workout ideas, training advice, reviews of the latest gear and more.
Joe Warner is a highly experienced journalist and editor who began working in fitness media in 2008. He has featured on the cover of Men’s Fitness UK twice and has co-authored Amazon best-sellers including 12-Week Body Plan. He was the editor of Men’s Fitness UK magazine between 2016 and 2019, when that title shared a website with Coach.