Instead of just cranking out ordinary crunches, mix up your abs workout with crossover crunches. By adding in a twisting movement you'll target your obliques as well as your abs, strengthening your core and tightening your stomach muscles.
How To Do The Crossover Crunch
- With your head off the mat, touch your fingers to your temples. Rest one foot on the opposite knee.
- Contract your abs to lift your shoulders off the mat, without pulling on your neck.
- Twist your torso so your elbow moves to meet your knee.
- Reverse the move slowly back to the start.
Crossover Crunch Variations
Gym ball twist crunch
Get more range on the move and work your stabiliser muscles into the bargain.
- As you rise up twist your torso to one side
- Alternate sides with each rep
Do this move quickly to exhaust your abdominals fully.
- Crunch up and bring your right elbow to your left knee.
- Twist your torso from side to side while pumping your legs back and forth.
One-arm cable cross crunch
Head to the cable machine to work your abs and sculpt a six-pack with this twisty crunch variation.
- Hold a high cable in one hand.
- Use your abs to pull the handle down, not your arm.
- Draw your elbow to your opposite knee to create the twist effect.
More Of The Best Abs Exercises
Get the Coach Newsletter
Sign up for workout ideas, training advice, reviews of the latest gear and more.
Nick Hutchings worked for Men’s Fitness UK, which predated, and then shared a website with, Coach. Nick worked as digital editor from 2008 to 2011, head of content until 2014, and finally editor-in-chief until 2015.