There are some classic flavour combinations here, the unctuous marriage of bacon and lentils, plus the sharp, bitter and creamy combination of apple, walnuts and goat’s cheese. The end result is a supremely tasty and satisfying salad that delivers 36g of protein, making it perfect for refuelling after a workout. And with a high fibre content from the lentils, you’ll stay full for hours.
Apple And Bacon Lentil Salad Recipe
593 calories per serving
- Boil the Puy lentils until just cooked so they still have some bite in them
- Cut the bacon into thick strips and dice it. Dry fry the bacon, drain and allow to cool
- In a mixing bowl combine the seasonal leaves, lentils and diced apple and drizzle with the dressing of your choice. We recommend some very bitter olive oil and a few drops of white balsamic vinegar
- Mix all together and divide equally across four plates then scatter the bacon, cheese and chives over each salad
Ingredients (Serves Four)
- 200 grams (dry) of best quality puy lentils
- 160 grams smoked thick cut back bacon
- 500 grams English apples washed and 15mm dice
- 160 grams of soft English goats cheese
- 80 grams walnuts chopped
- Half a bunch of chives chopped
- 200 grams of mixed baby leaves
- 2 tbsp salad dressing
We entered all the ingredients into Myfitnesspal, one of the best weight-loss apps for calorie counting, to obtain a rough nutritional breakdown for this salad. It comes out at 593 calories per serving, and provides 43g of carbohydrates, 36g of protein, 30g of fat and 11g of fibre.
More About Nutrition
Get the Coach Newsletter
Sign up for workout ideas, training advice, reviews of the latest gear and more.
Lucy Miller is an experienced journalist who has worked across a range of health and fitness titles. She was the fitness and nutrition editor at Men’s Fitness UK, and has also been fitness editor of both Health & Fitness UK and Women’s Fitness UK. Lucy qualified as a NASM-certified personal trainer and nutritionist in 2008.